Moving resource checklist
If you think you need just boxes and tape for your move, think again. Having the right packing and moving supplies on hand can make the difference between a move that is easy and stress-free and something that you never want to do again.
That’s why we’ve created a list of essential moving equipment that you can refer to as you prepare to move. Our list tells you what supplies you need to make your move manageable and how to use them.
- Various sizes of boxes – You won’t want to overpack heavy items such as books and dishes try to get smaller boxes to fit these heavy items in for easier carrying.
- Wrap cushioning – Many stores like Home Depot sell bulk cushioning for moving
- Packing tape – Use a tape dispenser for easy and quick application
- Utility knife or scissors – tools to unpack your boxes! But it’s also a great idea to have these on hand while you are packing as well
- Permanent marker to mark boxes
- Cargo straps or rope
- Dolly – Perfect for saving trips with multiple boxes and great for heavy items
- Mattress cover – Protects your mattress from the moving truck, dirt, etc.
- A compact tool box – For the pieces of furniture that require disassembling, don’t be stuck without the tools you need
- Small Ziplock bags – These are great for putting screws and small pieces of furniture assembly into so that you don’t lose them!
- Furniture pads and covers – To protect your floors and your furniture from being damaged
- Stretch wrap – Use it to keep drawers closed on items like dressers and nightstands. You can also use it to protect furniture, especially wood pieces, from scratches and other surface damage.
- Large, heavy duty garbage bags – Use these to toss pillows, comforters, and sheets into
- Then use the packed bags to cushion fragile things in a moving truck
- These can also be used for clothing; keep your clothes on the hanger and place a large garbage bag over the clothing, tie the top of the garbage bag around the top of the hangers.
- Cleaning supplies – After you move, give the home a good cleaning & leave the place looking fresh for the next person!
Can I get packing supplies from my moving company?
You might be tempted to get all your moving supplies from a moving company—after all, it’s a one-stop shop with boxes, tape, and everything else you can think of—but you can usually save money by getting the bulk of your supplies elsewhere.
That being said, you can save money by renting some supplies from a moving company rather than buying them outright yourself.
Many stores break boxes down and throw them away, it doesn’t hurt to go to your local beer/liquor/grocery store to ask for any in-tact boxes they may be getting rid of.
Additionally, some moving, and U-Haul locations will give you used boxes for free.
Other things to note when moving:
- Hiring a moving company can be pricey but beneficial
- We suggest getting quotes from several companies if you are able
- Some moving companies will provide the moving labor if you provide the moving truck, for a lot less
- Don’t wait until the last minute!
- Procrastinating when you are making a big move can make it that much more stressful
- Plan ahead if you need to, make lists, and try to stay as organized as possible
- I suggest keeping a binder of all instruction manuals, warranties etc. to pass off to the next homeowner/start one of your own for your future home.